The Quality of Your Leadership Presence
While a leader’s actions are critical elements in achieving success, RL suggests that a leader’s primary lever for influencing emotional systems is the quality of his/her presence. A positive presence, as we define it, is the aura of confidence, poise, attentiveness, calm, focus and energy one radiates wherever one goes. It is the felt impact of a leader that permeates the organization and is keenly felt by everyone in the leader’s system, even those who aren’t in proximity.
- Think of a time when you were calmed by the influence of a leader.
- Think of a time when you became anxious in the presence of a leader.
- Recall the way you felt in both circumstances and then compare the feelings.
- Reflect on your own presence in the last week.
- How would you describe the nature or your presence?